You are here: HomeLocationsTasmaniaSocial Support ServicesYouth Support Services › Resource Kit

Resource Kit

Arcadia Transtioning Resource Kit

The Resource Kit has been designed for both workers in the field and young people in out-of home care. The links below show the different areas that need to be addressed before a young person transitions out of the out of home care system.

    • Copy of Birth Certificate
    • Photo ID (i.e. Key pass, Proof of Age Card)
    • Medicare Card
    • Bank Account
    • Health Care Card
    • Tax File Number
    • Concession Card for Travel
    • Driver’s License
    • Centrelink Information
    • Driver’s License
    • Freedom of Information
    • Passport
    • Resume
    • Enroll to Vote
    • Budgeting Information
    • Office of Housing

Birth Certificate Application

You will need a copy of your Birth Certificate as it is often used to prove your identity. If you do not have one, you can apply for one by: 


2) You can also pick up a form up from Service Tasmania

3) Once completed, you can take the form into Service Tasmania and pay $45.88

If you lodge your application at the office, you will be able to get your Birth Certificate over the counter. If you have posted your application, it will take about 5 days to come in the mail.


Photo ID - Key pass, Proof of Age Card

A Key pass is a recognised form of identification in Australia. There exists an under-18 Key pass as well as Adult Key pass for when you are already 18 or over. So when you are asked for Photo ID, a Key pass can be used to prove your identity. It is a credit card-sized ID that includes your name, date of birth, address, signature and emergency contact details. To apply for a Key pass, you need to: 


2)    Once completed the application, with the additional information
  2 color passport photos (Post-Office, Kodak Express or Photo booth)

  • Proof of your date of birth (eg. birth certificate or passport)
  • 2 forms of proof of ID (eg. Health Care card, passport, tax file number, letter from Government Department showing your current address, school report)
  • Payment ($60 to get your Key pass on the same day or $50 if you collect it the next day)

Please return the form to your local Australia Post

Medicare Card Application

If you are sixteen years or older, you can apply for your own Medicare card. This card allows you to see a doctor (or G.P.) free of charge if they Bulk Bill. You will also be asked for your Medicare card when picking up prescription medication. A Medicare card can be applied for by:

1)   Going onto the website:

2)   Print out the form ‘Application to copy or transfer from one Medicare card to another’. This form can also be picked up at Medicare offices.

3)   Take the completed form, along with your birth certificate, into a Medicare office to lodge your application. You will receive the card in a few weeks through the mail.

Bank Account

To open a bank account you will need to go to the enquiry counter of the bank and ask to open an account. Some banks may also allow you to apply for an account online. In order to open an account with any bank, you will need to fill out some paper work. You will need to provide the bank with more than one form of identification, such as a birth certificate and photo ID. 

Most of the main banks (like Commonwealth Bank, ANZ and Westpac) offer either free banking or low fee-paying bank accounts if you are a student or have a Health Care Card. These bank accounts allow you to do your banking at a low cost and have benefits such as more ATM withdrawals per month for free.


    • Be aware that when you use another bank’s ATM, you will be charged with a fee (usually around $2 to $3 dollars). Therefore try to withdraw only from your bank’s ATM
    • Most banks offer internet banking which you can set up when you open your account. Internet banking allows you to do all you’re banking online. This is usually free. Ask about this when you apply for an account


Health Care Card

Having a Concession or Health Care Card gives you access to a range of Australian Government health care concessions. These concessions will make it less expensive when you use some health care services or buy prescription medicines. People receiving some income support payments will automatically receive a Concession or Health Care Card.

There are different types of Concession and Health Care Cards. The type of Concession or Health Care Card you can claim will depend on:

  • The type of income support payment you receive from Centrelink
  • Your age
  • Whether you have dependents
  • Other requirements

Once you have filled in the forms you need to return them in person or by post to a Centrelink Service Centre.

Concession Card for Travel   

If you are 17 years old, or over, and don't have a Health Care Card, you will need to apply for a Tasmanian Health Care card or hold a current Student Concession Card from your education institute if you want to travel on public transport using a 'concession' ticket. 

To apply for a concession card:

-          Contact your local Centrelink

Centrelink also offers young people who are studying or looking for work an opportunity to get some benefits if they are unable to work full time.  These benefits will help young people focus on their studies rather than worrying about money. For the most up to date information visit:

Tax File Number

You will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) in order to apply for a job. You can apply for a TFN by downloading the application form or picking up an application form from an Australia Post outlet.

If you are under 16 years old, you will need two forms of ID in order to apply for a TFN. If you are over 16 years old, you will need three forms of ID. If you are still in secondary school, then your school can help you apply for a Tax File Number. 

Driver’s License Information

You can apply for a learner’s permit once you turn 16 years old at Service Tasmania. This involves taking a car learner permit knowledge test. Once you turn 17 years old and you’ve:

-   L1 license-It is recommended you read and complete the L1 logbook as a minimum of 30 hours driving experience is recommended before you attempt the L2 assessment, but your learner licence lasts for 3 years, so there's no need to rush things.

-   L2 License- Acquire 50 hours of logged supervised driving with a fully licensed driver over a 9 month period

 Learnt the rules for P drivers

- Book and successfully complete license test  

P1’s- Drive safely and legally

Even though it took a lot of work to get here, it's still a great idea to take things slowly - it's not easy to suddenly be the decision maker, in complete control of the car with no one there to back you up. 

So gradually build up your solo driving - tackle different conditions over time 
And remember, just because you can drive without a supervising driver, doesn't mean that you have to - your supervising driver can still offer lots of good advice - so take them on a regular drive and talk to them about your driving experiences as often as you can.


when get
P2 license

Minimum time must
hold P2

18 - under 23

2 years

23 - under 25

12 months or until 25 (whichever is longer)

Over 25

12 months


Once you’ve turned 18 you can apply for an adult passport. You can get a passport application form from your local Australia Post Office. You will need to show your original full birth certificate and some other forms of identification like a driver’s license and a Medicare card. You will also need passport photos made. In order to lodge your application, you will need to make an appointment to do so at the post office, though not all post offices process passports. An adult passport costs $208 and takes about 10 days to get if your application is successful.

For more information about passports, go on to the Passports website:


When you apply for a job, the employer will want to see your resume. Your resume is a marketing tool that outlines your skills and experience relevant to the job. It can also be called your Curriculum Vitae (CV). 

Your resume should be updated regularly, especially when you finish a job or complete a training course. It should also be updated for each job you apply for. It might be a good idea to create a master resume and use it to create a new version for each job application.

What to include in your resume:

Your resume should include your contact details, education, employment history and the contact details for your referees. You can also include a statement of your career objective, computer skills, professional affiliations and other skills related to the job. Some people like to include information about their hobbies and interests so that the employer can get to know them better.

Key information that should be included:

  • Contact details:
    • name
    • address
    • Phone or mobile number. If you use a telephone typewriter (TTY) phone or use a telephone relay service, you might consider making a note about this in your resume. Some employers may not have used these systems before
    • contact email
  • Career objective
  • Employment history:
    • include all relevant work history, including volunteering and work experience
    • provide details on the name of your employer, the job title, the period of employment and your key achievement
  • Education and training qualifications:
    • all relevant education and training qualifications should be listed in this section
    • provide details on the name of the institution where you studied, course title and date completed
  • Demonstrated skills:
    • look at the details and selection criteria of the job
    • consider what skills are required for the position and then list your relevant skills
    • If relevant, include information about your ability to use the range of relevant software programs. You usually record your skill level as either 'basic', 'intermediate' or 'advanced'.  Be honest as the employer will expect you to perform at the level you have indicated in your resume
  • Special achievements:
    • use this section to highlight your special achievements
    • special achievements can be a work goal, community work, volunteering or a sporting achievement
  • Referees:
    • Contact details for someone who has supervised your work (teacher, coach, and supervisor) or who has a good knowledge of your ability to do the job.

You don’t need to include personal details such as your date of birth, marital status and gender.

The most important thing when writing your resume is to make sure that it is relevant to the job you are applying for.

Enroll to Vote

It is law in Australia that you have to be enrolled to vote if you are an Australian citizen and over 18 years old. You can enroll online If you do not vote, you will be fined. 

Budgeting Information

A budget lets you know if you're living within your means. A budget basically keeps track of:

  • The money you regularly earn (from wages, salary, interest from bank accounts, etc.) - this is called your income
  • The money you regularly spend (rent, food, bills, mobile phone, etc.) - this is called your expenses.

What you're left with once you subtract your expenses from your income is your "disposable income" - the money you can afford to spend on things you like, or save.

Because it helps you know how much money is left over from your income after you have paid your expenses, a budget can also help you to save for a something like a holiday, a new laptop, a car, a house or an investment portfolio.

When working out your budget, if you discover your expenses are more than your income, you need to either increase your income or reduce your spending to avoid debt.

Office of Public Housing Application

The Department of Human Services provides public, community housing, disability supported accommodation services and support for those most in need.

Social housing is a type of rental housing that is provided and/or managed by the Government or non-government organizations. Social housing is a term that covers both public housing and community housing.

This section offers a range of accommodation-related information:

  • Public housing - including applying for housing and living in public housing. Public housing refers to homes rented to people on low incomes that are owned (or leased) and managed by the Government.
  • Community housing - community housing refers to rental housing provided for people on low to moderate incomes or people with special needs. It is generally fully or partly funded by governments, and managed by not-for-profit organizations, and in some cases local governments. 
  • Services to help people at risk of or experiencing homelessness
  • Immediate accommodation for those suffering a crisis, including women and children escaping family violence
  • Supported accommodation - for people with a disability
  • Assistance to private renters - for those currently in private rental or who wish to enter the private rental market, i.e. Bond Loan application

For more information visit Housing Connect Tasmania:

The Salvation Army Tasmania acknowledges The Salvation Army West Care Victoria, The Salvation Army- Australia Southern Territory

© Westcare: We Care, the Salvation Army - Australia Southern Territory

The Salvation Army acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the lands and waters throughout Australia. We pay our respect to Elders and acknowledge their continuing relationship to this land and the ongoing living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across Australia.

The Salvation Army is a child safe organisation that is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of children and young people, and protecting them from harm.

13 SALVOS (13 72 58)

Gifts of $2 or more to the social work of The Salvation Army in Australia are tax deductible.Details and ABNs

Hope where it's needed most