Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs
At the heart of our work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is a commitment to reconciliation.
Our work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is across four focus areas – cultural competency and capacity building, youth and children, community engagement, and leadership. Listed below are some of our programs from across Australia.
- Walkabout Talkabout Warriors Leadership and Resilience Program for young men aged 14 and older in partnership with Traditional Owners, community members and the Defence Force
- Practical support to Uncle Alfred’s Mens Group
- Participating in Deadly Family Day Out – focussing on domestic violence
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary school aged students from remote communities attend Salvation Army summer camp in Sydney
- Mount Isa Recovery Services – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific drug and alcohol service
- Normanton Recovery and Community Wellbeing Service – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander specific drug and alcohol service in partnership with Aboriginal Medical Service Gidgee Healing
- Kapun Tagai Mob Kinnectors – Family, school and student support delivered by Gunya Meta
Sydney Northern Beaches
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Education House – Hosting high school aged students from regional and remote areas during school term
- An Aboriginal worship service
- The Waterhole – an Aboriginal painting and craft program
- Extensive community programs, including a drop-in centre, internet access and showers and laundry facilities