Sunrise Centre - Darwin
Drug and Alcohol Services & Homeless Mens Programme
24 Beaton Road, Berrimah
PO Box 19 Berrimah 8028
Phone: (08) 8997 1000
Fax: (08) 8997 1099
The Sunrise Centre operates a number of programmes to address the issues of homelessness, alcoholism and drug addiction.
The Sunrise Homeless Men’s Hostel accommodates 30 single homeless men year round. Each person gets their own room with a bed, wardrobe, chair and desk, and adjoining bathroom. The typical length of stay is three months during which each person receives intensive assistance from a professional case worker. The goal of each case worker is to fully understand the reasons for each person’s homelessness and develop a strategy for rehabilitation so they can begin a new life with a permanent roof over their head.
The workers at Sunrise help people re-connect with their community through introducing them to friendship and activity groups, they help them find long term accommodation, organise government income entitlements and identify a local medical practice they can rely on, among many other things. All of this is vital to a person’s rehabilitation and re-introduction to their community. Being on the street or 'couch surfing’ for an extended period of time makes people feel very isolated, so it’s important that they have all the knowledge and tools they need to stand on their own, when they leave the hostel.
Another impressive aspect of Sunrise is that anyone can seek their assistance. They do not have to be referred to Sunrise by government or welfare agencies. This eliminates the need for the homeless men to first approach a 'middle man’ before then being passed on to another party who can then help with temporary accommodation. If the process of finding accommodation is lengthy and involves many people, homeless people can feel embarrassed at having to tell their 'story’ over and over again, or get fed up with waiting for long periods of time.
HOMELESS MEN'S PROGRAM
Opening Hours: The Office is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Accommodation for single adult males
- Referrals can be made by self or any agency
- A caseworker is available for support and practical assistance.
- The case worker can help with referrals and contact with other organisations
- As we are a temporary accommodation provider, the maximum stay is for 3 months
- We can make referrals to assist you in finding more permanent accommodation
- 30 short term accommodation beds
- Residents have their own bedroom and a bathroom.
- Case Worker Assistance
- Advocacy, Practical & Emotional Support
FEES FOR SERVICES Note: Fees are based on ability to pay and financial concerns are discussed with the caseworker
TOP END DRUG & ALCOHOL SERVICES
- Provides Drug and Alcohol rehabilitation within the framework of a Christian organisation
- Believes in a holistic approach to recovery
- Is a 12 week program ( residential or non-residential) for men and women
- Provides counselling, case management, and referrals to other agencies
Group sessions include topics such as:
- Harm minimization
- Growth group
- 12 steps
- Self esteem
- Positive lifestyle
- Anger management
- Stress management
- Relapse prevention
- The programme offers a safe and supportive environment in which to undertake withdrawal from drugs and/or alcohol
- Available for adult males and females
- Referrals are made by Darwin Withdrawal Services - phone (08) 8948 0087
- Is a 5 to 7 day program
- A service offered to those who have gone through the rehabilitation programme.
- Clients can receive support, advice and practical assistance in finding accommodation, setting up a household, connecting with groups and the community.
- Regular contact is maintained through visits by the after care worker