Homelessness Week 2019
We believe one person sleeping rough is one too many
Sleeping rough might mean sleeping on the street, in a park or in an abandoned building. Rough sleepers are particularly vulnerable to physical harm, sickness, and poorer physical and mental health. Australia has the resources to eliminate rough sleeping altogether – we just need to work together to make it happen.
Find out what each of us can do and join The Salvation Army in our efforts to end rough sleeping.
We're contributing to the end of rough sleeping by:
- Listening to the voices of people experiencing homelessness to find the best solutions
- Working productively with governments, corporate Australia, other charities, peak and industry groups to find and deliver on solutions
- Wherever possible, engage with the Australian community and the spirit of generosity that exists across our Nation to join the Salvation Army to end homelessness
- Offering hope, compassion and assistance to those experiencing homelessness
Working together to fight homelessness
The Salvation Army is calling on governments to make a commitment to end rough sleeping by 2024.
Governments can work together to do this by:
- Establishing a bi-partisan Prime Ministerial Homelessness Taskforce to chart a path to end rough sleeping
- Establishing a bi-partisan National Homelessness Strategy, which includes action and targets to end rough sleeping by 2024, as well as action to increase the supply of affordable, community and public housing
- Establishing bi-partisan State and Territory Government homelessness strategies which include action and targets to end rough sleeping by 2024, as well as action to increase the supply of affordable, community and public housing
You can help end rough sleeping
Join us in working together to end homelessness
Some of the things you can do are:
- Contact your local Member of Parliament or local councilor and let them know that you think one rough sleeper is one too many and action is needed
- Volunteer to help provide practical care to people facing rough sleeping:
- Donate to provide hope where it is needed most: Donate Here