Are You Prepared?
In June 2016, a severe flood event devastated Northern Tasmania causing more than $180 million damage across the state. Hundreds of people were evacuated from their homes. Mark Foyle of The Salvation Army describes how your support has helped provide muchneeded assistance to the victims.
"We've had elderly men coming in and just crying, they have lost everything - their property, land, animals - everything!"
Thanks to the support of kind-hearted people like you, we were ready with a team of volunteers to help provide emergency food rations to displaced families and the emotional support victims needed to help come to terms with their loss and get on with their lives.
We could not do this work without you.
Whether it’s a flood or bushfire, you never know when an emergency will happen, but we do know it will. Planning and preparing for emergencies can reduce the impact of the emergency and may help you recover quicker afterwards.
Stay Safe Check List
Use the below checklist before and during emergencies to help protect you and your property.
1. Prepare an emergency plan
Good emergency planning can include:
- Think about what you will do before, during and after an emergency
- Clear hazards for example, cleaning gutters and trimming branches
- Teach Children how and when to dial Triple Zero (000)
- Review and practice your emergency plan
2. Prepare an emergency kit
Include items such as:
- Battery operated radio and torch
- First aid kit
- Non-perishable food and drinking water
3. During an emergency
- Tune into your emergency broadcaster
- Act quickly on advice provided
Police Fire and Ambulance
Call 000 (Triple zero)
SES (State Emergency Services)
Call 132 500