Host a food or gift drive
Christmas is a time for celebrating, but for many families in need it is challenging, lonely and isolating. You can give hope to a family in need by donating food and gifts for a Christmas hamper.
How to host a food or gift drive
Organising a food or gift drive is a simple and effective way to share Christmas cheer with a family in need – and best of all, it’s really easy to do!
1. Register your food and toy drive
2. Read Our Giving guidelines
Thank you for volunteering to host a food or gift drive. It will bring joy and hope to those in need this Christmas.
Please ensure all items are donated in November or early December. This ensures we can prepare and deliver all food and gift hampers in time for Christmas.
- Please consider giving gifts for a range of age groups, including teenagers and parents
- Donating gift vouchers means a parent or guardian can still share in the joy of buying a gift for their child or partner (they’re also ideal for teenagers)
- Please leave gifts unwrapped so parents or guardians can choose which gifts suit their child’s interest and personality (feel free to include wrapping paper or gift bags)
- What you donate may be the only present someone receives this Christmas, so please only donate new items (your local Salvos Store would gladly receive your good quality pre-loved items)
- Where appropriate please ensure items have long expiry dates and are non-perishable
- Including supermarket gift vouchers means the recipient can purchase their choice of fresh fruit, vegetables and meat
- Try to include brand name products, where possible, and add some special items to help the recipient celebrate on Christmas Day
- Try packing the food into a washing basket or shopping bag that can be reused by the recipient
- Consider providing food that will suit families with young children, people with allergies, the elderly or new Australians
- We can only accept physical gift vouchers ( not printed or electronic gift vouchers)
- Popular gift vouchers include:
- Department stores such as Kmart, Big W, Target, Myer or David Jones
- JB HI-FI
- Event Cinemas or Hoyts
- Supermarkets such as Woolworths or Coles