Host a food or toy drive
Christmas can be a difficult time of year for families in need. Every Christmas, we provide food hampers and gifts to bring hope to these families - but we need your help filling them!
How to host a food or gift drive
Organising a food or gift drive is a great way to bring hope to families in need. To host a drive for us:
- Register your drive
- Read our guidelines to find out how we can deliver the best Christmas for people in need
- Find your nearest drop off location or organise a pick up
- Download our free posters and resources to help plan and promote your drive
- Donate your items as early as possible in December in order to ensure they reach families before Christmas
Giving guidelines ensure we can deliver the best Christmas for people in need. Click here to view our guidelines.
- Please do not wrap gifts. This allows parents/guardians the special experience of choosing gifts for their kid's unique personalities and interests. Feel free to include some wrapping paper or a gift bag for them to use.
- Please only donate new items. Sadly, the gift you donate may be the only present someone receives this Christmas. We know Christmas isn’t only about receiving gifts, but this is one way we can help families feel special. Your nearest family store or Salvos Store would gladly receive your good quality pre-loved gifts.
- We accept gift vouchers! Gift vouchers mean a parent/guardian who is struggling doesn’t miss out on the joy of purchasing a gift for their child. Gift vouchers are also an ideal gift for teenagers.
- Each year we are overwhelmed with gifts for younger children, but always run out of gifts suitable for teenagers and parents. Please consider these older age groups when purchasing gifts.
- Where appropriate please ensure items have long expiry dates and are non-perishable
- Supermarket Gift Vouchers make a great addition to food hampers, allowing the recipient to purchase fresh fruit, vegetables and meat at Christmas.
- Think Christmas: people will be receiving these packages as gifts. Buy brand-name products where possible, and include some special items to help people celebrate on Christmas Day.
- Pack your groceries into a washing basket, reusable shopping bag or laundry bucket that can be reused by the recipient.
- Consider providing choices that suit families with young children, people with allergies, the elderly or newcomers to Australia.
- Please donate all items as early as possible within December (or even November). This helps us ensure that all food hampers and giftsare delivered to families in time for Christmas. We do not have an official “cut off” date – as this varies from suburb to suburb.
Contact your local representative
Your local Salvos representative will be in touch with you once you have registered above. Should you need their contact information please click here.
- Northern Territory: firstname.lastname@example.org or 08 8408 6939
- Western Australia: email@example.com or 08 9260 9587
- South Australia: firstname.lastname@example.org or 08 8408 6939
- Tasmania: email@example.com or 03 6228 8414
- Victoria: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0409 131 842
- ACT (and South NSW): email@example.com or 02 6270 3103
- Illawarra: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0438 435705
- Sydney: email@example.com or 02 8644 0120
- Western NSW/Newcastle/Central Coast/Mid North Coast: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0435 967 885
- Gold Coast & Northern Rivers: email@example.com or 0407 142 014
- South Queensland: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 3222 6600
- Sunshine Coast QLD: email@example.com or 0401 558 942
- Central Queensland: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0428 943 773
- Townsville: email@example.com or 0478 316 539
- Cairns: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0439 551 124
Once you've finished your drive, find a drop off location to donate your goods. Please phone ahead to arrange a suitable time to drop off donated items. Our locations are not necessarily open every day or during regular business hours.
For Brisbane CBD call (07) 3222 6600
For Melbourne call 0409 131 842
Promote your food drive with these posters and food suggestions. (2.9MB)