The Salvation Army has begun providing assistance across Tasmania by providing practical and emotional support to residents who have been affected by the recent flooding.
Support centres are expecting to see an increase in the number of people reaching out for assistance over the next week as floodwaters subside.
The Salvos are active in the following areas of the State.
Devonport & Ulverstone
- Latrobe has seen 100 homes severely affected and 180 homes moderately affected by flood, with Salvation Army Doorways staff operating from the Latrobe Memorial Hall.
- A number of other support centres and local corps are providing outreach support both at evacuation sites and within local centres across the area.
- Support continues at local centres in Burnie as a number of external organisations including Centrelink are referring residents to The Salvation Army centres.
- The Salvation Army is on stand-by for providing food and for Disaster Funds after attending the Emergency Services meeting.
- New Norfolk and Southern Doorways support centres are on stand-by to provide assistance should any individuals or families require help
Updates will continue as information comes to hand.
For further information please contact Mark Foyle - Divisional Public Relations Secretary on 03 6228 8422