The Salvation Army in Fairfield began as an outpost of The Salvation Army Liverpool.
Meetings were held at the School of Arts building, and less than four years later, on 13 January 1940, the Fairfield Outpost was officially recognised as a Salvation Army corps (church) with its first officer, Probationary Lieutenant Charles Bennett.
Commissioner Joshua James officially opened The Salvation Army’s first citadel in Fairfield, located on the corner of Barbara Street and Hamilton Road.
A Young People’s Hall was built with voluntary labour under the direction of Captain J. Vicars. It opened as a Youth and Community Centre on 28 June 1952.
A new citadel was completed and opened by Commissioner Harold Scotney.
The Youth Group renovated the Community Hall into a coffee shop, which quickly became popular and kept volunteers busy. The opening night attracted 110 people.
The new Salvation Army complex at 473 Hamilton Road, Fairfield West, was opened by Colonel Keith Parkinson, and the corps name was changed to Fairfield City.