Disaster recovery and emergency services
We believe that no one should have to ‘go it’ alone. When a disaster strikes, we're ready to meet people at their point of need.
Our emergency support workers will provide immediate assistance with cash and goods - no long forms to fill out or waiting periods. When disaster strikes we know people need help, fast. But when the emergency is over, we don’t pull out. We step up our services to reflect the needs of the community. Our support is long-term, meaning years, not months.
Where we help
We provide medium and long-term disaster assistance after significant natural or man-made disasters, such as:
- Storm damage
How we help
Our focus is not just on the reconstruction of physical infrastructure but on the restoration of physical, emotional, environmental and economic well-being. We do this through providing:
- A vast network of community services - this means that we can draw on experts in a range of fields to assist in the recovery journey.
- Salvation Army Emergency Services (SAES) teams - our SAES volunteers provide emergency catering services and are among the first relief teams to arrive on the ground after a disaster.
- Chaplains and support workers - chaplains and support workers are deployed to homes, schools or town-hall settings to work with individuals or groups.
- Emergency workers - we provide immediate assistance with cash grants and goods – no long forms to fill out and no long waiting periods. When disaster strikes we know people need help, fast.
counsellors- available to help disaster impacted people work through complex longer-term issues.
- A refreshing break - in times of intense stress, sometimes a refreshing break can make all the difference. We offer children places at our
kidscamps, or grants for short breaks away from the disaster area.
- Employment and training services - available for people who can’t, or don’t want to, return to a job.
If you have been affected by a recent disaster and are in need of assistance, please call the Salvos on 13 SALVOS (13 72 58) or complete our online form.
Rebuilding after disaster strikes
The Salvation Army has spent years working with people affected by crisis or disaster, helping them get back on their feet.
Our free film 'Still Standing' tells the stories of people from across this great nation who have been impacted by a natural disaster, crisis or traumatic experience. We acknowledge their courage, resilience, and determination to not allow these events to define their future.