Money management tools
To take the fuss out of finding help with your finances, we’ve created this page in partnership with Westpac.
These resources can help you plan for the future, get in front with your money and work towards a budget that helps you achieve your financial goals.
Need help with your banks?
Contact information for leading banks and services around Australia
Programs offering assistance for those experiencing financial hardship
- Bank financial hardships contacts*
- What can my bank do?*
- How banks are supporting those doing it tough financially
* Information provided by the Australian Banking Association Inc.
Need help with your utility company?
A large part of our income is consumed by electricity, water and other household utilities. Below are free independent factsheets from State Energy and Water Ombudsman offices with information on how to save on your bills, or get help paying your bills.
- Save on your bills with tips from PowerWater
- Electricity, gas and water fact sheet
- Get help investigating complaints by contacting Ombudsman NT
- Get help investigating complaints by contacting Energy & Water Ombudsman SA
- Helpful fact sheets like ‘Payment Assistance’, ‘High Bills Explained’ and ‘Avoid Disconnection’
- Advice on affordable living in SA
Are you experiencing financial hardship and need help with your phone bill?
We have collated some details from leading phone companies about their financial hardship support options. If your phone provider is not listed, or you require more information, we recommened you visit the website of your telecommunications provider.
If you are experiencing financial difficulty and wish to discuss payment options available for you, call Telstra on 13 22 00 and say “payment options”.
Download the Telstra Financial Hardship Policy
View the Telstra's Access for Everyone Page designed to assist people on a low income, or facing financial hardship, maintain telecommunications access.
If Optus is your service provider and you’re experiencing financial hardship, call 1800 505 201.
If you are experiencing financial hardship including difficulties as a result of bushfire or flood impacts please contact Virgin Mobile on 1300 304 090.
If you are having a problem paying your bill, or you wish to discuss options available to you to minimise your bill, call TPG Customer Service on 13 14 23 and choose option 3.
If you have questions about your Vodafone account or are experiencing financial difficulties, contact Vodafone by calling 1527 from your mobile or 1300 650 405 on any other phone.
Tools and resources
Westpac have partnered with us to develop some financial self help tools:
- Westpac Davidson Institute - Free budgeting guide
- Financial hardship
- Good money habits
- Planning for positive cash flow (Business Customers)
MoneySmart - ASIC
MoneySmart's online tools that can help you take steps to improve your personal finances:
Additional information and tools
Financial Counselling Australia (FCA) provides access to financial counsellors who provide a free independent and confidential service.
- What is a financial counsellor
- Find a financial counsellor
(Call early as waitlists may apply. You may be entitled to Government payments you are not aware of.)
- Free financial counselling through the National Debt Helpline
- Compare Centrelink payments and services you may be eligible for
- Find Unclaimed Money
- Get legal help through Community Legal Centres
- Free legal advice fact sheets through Consumer Action Law Centre
- Understanding and accessing your credit report