Tips to have a fun and safe Christmas
The Salvation Army’s Craig Stephens shares some tips for a fun and safe festive season.
- Remember, you don’t have to consume alcohol or use drugs to have a good time.
- Eat well before you go out – don't go to a function on an empty stomach.
- Never let anyone else top up your drink.
- Never mix alcohol with drugs.
- Never get into a car with a driver who has been drinking.
- Don’t let peer pressure force you into doing something you don’t want to do. It’s okay to say no.
- Stay close to friends you trust – it tends to be more fun anyway.
- Leave, or call a trusted friend, if you feel unsafe at a venue or party.
- Make plans for the morning after a function – having something to look forward to will give you incentive to wake up fresh the next day.
- The best way to avoid alcohol and drug-related problems is to not have any at all.
If you think that you, or a friend or family member, has a problem with drugs or alcohol, the Salvos can help.
* Craig Stephens manages The Salvation Army's Dooralong Transformation Centre on the NSW Central Coast