(Photo of Beamish Street (east side), looking south across Beamish Street from Anglo Road in 1912)
- In 1912 Campsie was a rural village on the edge of the city of Sydney. The St Peters to Bankstown railway had come through in 1895 encouraging settlers to move in. Clustered around Campsie station and along Beamish Road were many shops and buildings but much of the Cooks River valley was still taken up with orchards, market gardens, dairies and grazing land. A population boom was about to begin.