Discovery Bible Reading
Discovery Bible Reading is a simple effective reading plan-whatever your knowledge or experience of Jesus.
- Friends meet to read stories of Jesus (the Gospel of Mark is a good start).
- One person prays this prayer:
"Dear God, please guide us. Thank you."
- Start at the beginning, reading one story at a time.
- Read each story through twice, then retell the story in your own words.
Discuss the story using 5 questions:
1. What is New?
2. What surprises you?
3. What don't you understand?
4. What will you obey or apply?
5. What will you share with someone this week?
- Plan when to meet to read again.
- Pray for each other, something like this:
"Dear God, Thank you for your word. Help us to follow you. Amen."
Ideas and Suggestions
- If you don't understand something, don't argue - you will read more!
- Invite other people to join you.
- Give each person a bookmark.
- Encourage others to form groups.
When you meet to read again
You could ask:
1. Who have you met or caught up with?
2. What two thuings did you learn?
1. How did we go applying the insights?
2. How did we go sharing?