No Interest Loans Scheme
We may be able to provide a No Interest Loan to you and your family to help ease the stress when something goes wrong. If your fridge breaks down or you need a new computer, it's tempting to take out a “pay day” loan, but the "pay day" loan repayment plans are often deceptive and can increase financial pressure.
If your application is successful, we can provide a loan up to $1,500 for essential items and work with you to create a 12 to 18-month repayment plan that is entirely free of interest.
To apply for a No Interest Loan, you must:
- be on a low income earner
- have resided in your current premises for at least 3 months
- be willing and able to repay your loan over 12-18 months
When applying for the loan, we will ask you what you intend to use the loan for. No Interest Loans can only be used for certain items.
No Interest Loans can be used for:
- household appliances
- car related items (repairs, registration, driving lessons, etc)
- health items
- medical and dental equipment or aids
- cost of relocation, funerals or veterinary expenses
No Interest Loans can’t be used for:
- bond and rent money
- rental arrears
- living expenses (food, holidays, etc)
- gas, electricity or telephone bills
- cash advances
- debt repayment or consolidation
- cheques payable to the loan recipient
- Payments to a 3rd party private sale
- used cars
- second hand goods
The Salvation Army is an accredited provider of the No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) by Good Shepherd Microfinance .
Important information for NSW residents
Under the NSW Home Energy Appliance Program (HEA) NSW residents who apply for NILS can save up to 40% off the cost of a new fridge and up to 50% off the cost of a new TV.
If you need emergency financial assistance, please call 1300 371 288 (9am-5pm Monday to Friday).