The Salvation Army Australia Southern Territory has launched a Typhoon Disaster Appeal following the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, releasing $100,000 to immediately assist with medical and food supplies.
Typhoon Haiyan swept through the Philippines and islands and countries surrounding the South China Sea on Friday November 8th.
More than 10,000 people are thought to have lost their lives in the disaster with hundreds of thousands left without homes, power or clean water.
Salvation Army teams in The Philippines are providing assistance to the thousands of people affected by the typhoon with the response targeting the worst hit area Tacloban, 360 kilometres south west of Manila.
Territorial Commander for the Philippines Colonel Wayne Maxwell said, “The Salvation Army is already responding locally to the immediate needs of the survivors on the Island of Leyte and throughout the other islands devastated by the typhoon.”
The $100,000 from Australia will supply medical and material aid. The Salvation Army are working with the Philippines air force to distribute essential supplies quickly to those who urgently need it.
Territorial Commander for the Philippines Colonel Wayne Maxwell said, “The reality for us here is that the need is great and we want to provide a significant response…the task for us is immense and our cash supplies are extremely limited.”
The Salvation Army Australia Southern Territory’s Dr Bruce Redman said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the disaster and all involved in the disaster recovery efforts.”
“We thank those who have donated so far and encourage others to get behind assisting people the millions of people affected by this tragedy.”