Our WA Programs
Salvo Leadership Program
The Salvo Leadership Program (SLP) is an opportunity for young adults to experience the front line of mission, serving God and their community, all while getting a nationally recognised qualification.
Students will study a Certificate IV in Ministry (Leadership) and graduate equipped to lead in various contexts and ministry environments, meet life's demands, and be the person that God has created them to be. The course includes theoretical training (video lectures through Alphacrucis College) facilitated by The Salvation Army Youth and Children’s Department WA. The Ministry Leadership qualification is recognised by Youth Care so while the Salvo Leadership Program can be viewed as a ‘gap year’ there are very real career opportunities available for graduates.
Students will have the opportunity to complete the practical requirements of their course in their Corps, and/or Salvo social centres. Our aim is to give students a holistic experience of what our movement offers, and empower them to serve in ministry areas that suit their passion and skills.
- Be 18 – 35 years old (Applicants must at least turn 18 within the year they are a part of the program)
- Have a Christian faith/be open to exploring Christian spirituality
- Be endorsed either by a Corps Officer/Pastor/Mentor
- Two full days of classes (9:00am - 3:30pm)
- Practical hours serving in a ministry at their Corps as a part of their Service Elective (in keeping with the requirements of the practical units of study and Salvo Leadership Program guidelines)
Other activities that will be included in the program are:
- Divisional events e.g. Divi Youth, Easter Camp, Junior SAYC, etc.
- Quarterly Encounter Days
- Knowing about God is important, but knowing God is the real goal. Encounter Days are set aside to seek God through worship, prayer, silence and solitude, and fasting.
Total cost for the one year program is $2,700. This includes the Certificate IV in Ministry (Leadership), one Divisional immersion experience (e.g. Easter Camp), textbook loan, and Encounter Days.
Payment can be made by the following options:
- One, upfront payment of $2,700
- Two payments (one at the start of each semester) of $1,350
- 10% upfront payment of $270, then weekly payments of $57
If you are a young adult between 18* - 35 and would like to know more about the program please contact us or fill out an application form.
Applications close Wednesday February 1, 2017.
*Individuals who are 17 years old will be eligible for the Salvo Leadership Program if they turn 18 during their year of study.