The Salvation Army - a growing loving community of people dynamically living God's mission in a broken world.
The Salvation Army raised up by God for the work of:
- Transforming Lives
- Caring for People
- Making Disciples
- Reforming Society
Recognising that god is always at work in the world we value:
- Human Dignity
Vision for Merriwa
We are reaching the least, the last and the lost for salvation in body, mind and spirit, embracing Jesus Christ as Saviour and discipling all to realise and reach their full potential in God.
IN TEN YEARS
- I firstly see a church being inspired to do what God has called this church to be…
- I see a church committed to the vision and mission of the Salvation Army Australian Southern Territory.
- I see a church of committed community people that are striving at, and working at living out the gospel of Jesus Christ, we have people who are at different stages in their journey with God. All are growing in some capacity in their spiritual emotional or physical well being. All being encouraged to strive in realising and reaching their full potential.
- I see a church that is committed to unity in the body of Christ and Christianity. We are a people who embrace the local community churches and come together regularly in worship and mission. Fulfilling the prayer of Jesus for is believers.
- John 17:21 (NIV) Jesus prayer for his believers is this
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me?
- I see a worshipping church embracing integrated mission, knowing that we need to be involved with its community fighting for social justice and healthier positive community participation.
- I see a church that will reach the least, last and lost for Jesus Christ.
Matthew 25:35-40 (NIV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?
39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
REACHING THE LEAST
I see a church reaching people who have had difficulties with crime and substance abuse. Our church community is working along side them encouraging and building into them a positive lifestyle, this involves encouraging positive life skills and a faith in God that will help them get through the difficulties that transforming lives can produce
REACHING THE LOST
I see a church who will engage with those who feel lost and alone in our community. Loving them, as Jesus loved the lost. Encouraging and sharing that Jesus loves them, died for them so that they can have life in all its fullness.
John 10:10 (NIV)
10 ... I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I see a church coming along side lost people, encouraging a sense of self worth and becoming a valued member of society.
- I see a church that will engage in the old Australian custom of giving a battler a fair go. This is embracing forgiveness and loving those who persecute you.
Romans 12:14 (NIV)
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
- Bless is not a word of prayer it’s an action of love it “bless them” means a blessing involves actions.
REACHING THE LAST
I see a church that opens its arms to those who are at there wits end.
Who have reached the last rung on the ladder and have no where else to go it embraces one of the Salvation Army founders famous saying
“Go for souls and go for the worst” and fighting for those souls for people who are on the margins of society to fight for their salvation in body mind and spirit.
William booth at his last speech before his promotion to glory said this
While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while little children go hungry, as they do now, I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight-I'll fight to the very end!