About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army is one of the world's largest Christian social welfare organisations with more than 1,650,000 members working in over 124 countries.
We have been in Australia for over 130 years. Currently we have more than 8,500 active officers and staff delivering in excess of 1000 specifically designed social programs across Australia.
The Salvation Army helps more than 1 million Australians every year – that's one person every 30 seconds!
In a typical week across Australia we provide*:
- 100,000 meals for the hungry
- 2,000 beds for the homeless
- 5,000 to 8,000 food vouchers
- 1,000 people with assistance in finding employment
- Refuge to 500 victims of abuse
- Assistance to 500 people addicted to drugs, alcohol or gambling
- Several thousand people with counselling
- 3,000 elderly people with aged care services
- 1000 people in the court system with chaplaincy services
- Family tracing services which locate 40 missing family members
Beliefs and doctrines History