The Hugh D.T. Williamson Scholarship Fund exists to enable young people, carers and staff to undertake or complete education or studies relevant to their work in the out-of-home care sector.
The Hugh D.T. Williamson Foundation is best known for its support of the Community Leadership Program. Hugh Williamson valued innovation in learning and leadership and with this in mind the Foundation Trustees have accepted a proposal from Westcare to provide scholarships for young people, staff and volunteers in the Out of Home Care sector.
There are two categories of scholarship. The first category of scholarships is aimed at young people who live in Melbourne's northern and western regions and are in out-of-home care or have recently left care. It aims to acknowledge the academic achievements of young people and assist in inspiring young people to continue their education.
Considerable research stresses the importance of gaining meaningful training and work to increase resilience, connectedness, self-esteem and community membership. The Hugh D.T. Williamson Scholarships will greatly assist young people and divert a possible lifelong dependency on support systems.
The second category of scholarships is for staff and volunteers working in Community Service Organisations. These scholarships will acknowledge the skills and innovation of staff and volunteers and will enable either commencement or continuation of study that specifically benefits the out-of-home care system.
A number of Scholarships will be granted in each category.
To be eligible for the Category One Scholarships:
- Nominated children and young people up to 25 years of age must be attending school.
- Reside in the Western Region of Metropolitan Melbourne.
- Be committed to undertaking study in 2017.
- Be eligible to commence an accredited course in 2017.
To be eligible for the Category Two Scholarships:
- Be an employee or volunteer of a Community Service Organisation providing Out of Home Care Services in the Western Region of Metropolitan Melbourne.
- Be enrolled to undertake accredited training in 2017.
- Be able to demonstrate the benefit between studies undertaken and the provision of Out of Home Care.
What is being offered?
A scholarship may assist with HECS fees, compulsory fees or other expenses such as books for study undertaken in an approved education program at Secondary or Tertiary level, including TAFE and University.
The selection criteria that the panel will use to make decisions are:
- Young people, volunteer care givers and employees committed to continual learning
- Young people who have overcome huge barriers and achieved extraordinary results
- Young people aged between 16 and 25 years of age who are currently in care or who have recently left care
- Staff and volunteers who have demonstrated a capacity for innovation and a commitment for excellence in the out-of-home care sector.
The Hugh D.T. Williamson Scholarship panel will consider the information provided on the nomination form and may request additional information to assist their decision making. Please be specific and provide sufficient details by way of description or example in the nomination form, in order for the nominee’s strengths to be understood.
The decision of the Hugh D.T. Williamson Scholarship panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The Hugh D.T. Williamson Scholarship panel to assist in their decision making only will use private and personal information supplied. Information will not be disclosed or used for any other purpose without the express consent of the person to whom the information relates, unless otherwise required by law.
The first step in making a nomination for a scholarship is to become completely familiar with the scholarships and selection criteria to be met by the candidate.
This year nomination forms must be completed and lodged electronically by Friday 20th January 2017. To enter your information in the nomination form you will need to follow these steps: Open the document, click “Options”, click “Enable this content”, click “Ok”. The document will then allow you to enter your information.
Completed nominations must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Written acknowledgement of receipt of your nomination will be sent within 10 working days.
All nominators will be notified in writing of the outcome of their nomination.
Download the Nomination Form Download the 2017 Information Sheet