• Print this page

Getting A Home


Salvation Army Housing (SAH) is a not-for-profit housing company providing affordable and social housing and other assistance to eligible individuals and families who are on low to moderate incomes in Australia.

As a company we manage over 1,200 properties as well as providing a range of services from our Head Office in Melbourne and regional offices in South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania.

Salvation Army Housing Western Australia currently provides medium term affordable housing.

It is designed to provide homes for individuals and families on low incomes and those with specific support needs.

Salvation Army HousingWestern Australia (SAHWA) homes are allocated to individuals and families registered within one of the Salvation Army Support programs or by referral from the Housing Authority through the Joint Housing Register. Support Workers can  refer those most in need of housing to Salvation Army Housing.  In addition

Our Tenancy Workers can assist with the process of making an application to go the Housing by providing the necessary information to you and working with your Support Worker as appropriate.


Our Housing Service

SAH provides independent, secure affordable rental accommodation to low to moderate income tenants at the Salvation Army’s Seaforth Garden Complex.


Our Partnerships

We also work with a range of non-government and government services in the local area to help people access the services and support services they need.



SAH is a member of Shelter WA and the Community Housing Industry Association (CHIA).


Our Mission

Our mission is to assist individuals experiencing social disadvantage and to establish and maintain safe, affordable, secure tenancies through the management of a range of high quality housing options.



Rent is based on a percentage of your income, and this is generally 25% of the household’s gross income excluding rent assistance.  When offered a property, you will be asked to provide a written income declaration; your rent will be calculated on this amount, plus 100% Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA) where eligible. 


Rental Payments


Rent payments can be done by direct deposit, internet transfer, Centrepay or deposit book.  You will be provided with information on rent processes and details of how you can pay rent at the beginning of your tenancy. 


Property Keys

You will be given one complete set of keys: to all the external doors, security screens, window locks and internal and garage doors (where required).  You are responsible for the cost of cutting extra sets or if you lose the original set.


If you lock yourself out of your property, you are responsible for any locksmith charges.  SAH has a copy of the keys and can get spare keys cut with due notice, but you will still be charged with the cost.


General Repairs and Maintenance 

SAH makes every effort to complete maintenance items quickly and professionally.  If you have a repair or maintenance problem, please report it as soon as you possible.


Only maintenance approved by SAH will be paid for by us.  Tenants are not permitted to authorise any maintenance. 



We know that as you settle in, you may have further questions about the property, your tenancy agreement or any other services that Salvation Army Housing may be able to provide.  As part of our service commitment we will organise the following meetings and property inspections providing a minimum of seven (7) days’ notice.


Moving In

Before you move into your new home, you should consider the following:

  • Notify Australia Post, friends, family and businesses of your change of address


  • Have final readings made of gas and electricity meters in your previous home (this will make it easier to have these services connected at your new home). 


  • Complete the necessary forms to ensure that you have gas and/or electricity supplied at your new home


  • You are advised to insure your personal belongings and contents of your home.  SAH’s insurance policy only covers the buildings, and not individual items


  • Don’t forget to notify all other agencies of your change in address:


Visitors and Relatives

At Salvation Army Housing we understand that you might have visitors, friends and relatives staying with you for a maximum of two (2) nights per week.  Any more than two (2) nights is considered a change in household circumstances in the tenancy and rent may be charged to include the additional tenant.


Subletting of the Property

Tenants of SAH are not permitted to assign the lease or sublet the premises or accept lodgers, under any circumstances



Please let your Support Worker and Tenancy Worker know if you have or want a pet, particularly a cat or dog. 


In SAH-owned properties, pets such as dogs may be allowed if they are not large, and the property has a fully fenced yard or a reasonable size.


If the property is leased by SAH we generally do not allow pets.  You have to seek written permission from us if you get a pet or have an existing pet when you sign your lease agreement.


Adding Extra Comforts

Anything you wish to add to the property that is not listed in the Property Condition Report, must be sought in writing. 


Car Parking 

You are only allowed to park your vehicle in the allocated or numbered car park space that is part of the property. Do not park on the lawns or garden areas. No unregistered cars are allowed to be stored at the property.


Changing Needs 

We understand that people’s circumstances change.  Sometimes this means that your housing is no longer suitable for you.  Please let us know if your needs have changed and we can explore various options.


In a situation where your needs have changed due to health or disability we may be able to modify your home to better suit your needs.  We will ask a General Practitioner (GP) or an Occupational Therapist (OT) to provide a complete assessment of your needs.


SAH will review the report to determine if the modifications are possible.  If the property cannot be modified your Support Worker will assist you to find a more suitable property for you.


Home Modifications 

You are not allowed to make any alterations, installations and additions, to the property without written permission from SAH.




Salvation Army Housing actively engages with its communities, its members and agencies to deliver programs that encourages learning, pride and ownership and creates a sense of belonging.


Community Engagement 

If you are interested in community activities such as neighbourhood renewal programs, volunteer work, participating in a resident group or generally want to be part of your community, you are more than welcome to call your Support Worker who works closely alongside you or provides you with opportunities to become involved.


SAH Tenant Forum 

Another initiative from SAH is our Tenant Forum.  It consists of tenants from different suburbs and is run by tenants for the tenants. 


They meet to share information and experiences, arrange guest speakers to present information on relevant issues and provide us with valuable information in the experience of housing with SAH.


If you are unable to join the Tenant Forum, SAH offers other avenues for you to be involved including:

  • Seeking your feedback and comments by completing the “How can we improve?” brochure
  • Providing you with opportunities to discuss how your housing is managed
  • Contribute to our newsletter
  • Respond to surveys.


Please contact your Tenancy Worker who will put you in contact with the relevant person.



Salvation Army Housing recognises the importance of building sustainable and peaceful communities and has developed a wide range of strategies to ensure you enjoy a successful and long term experience.


The change in housing over the years means many of properties are close together often with shared laundries, gardens and parking spaces.  You will have neighbours, either next door if you live in a house, or maybe upstairs or downstairs if you live in a flat.


You have a right to expect that they will respect your privacy, the property and your peace and quiet. They, of course, have the right to expect the same of you.  We recommend that you first try to resolve the issue by speaking directly to those involved.  However, if you find that problem continues or you feel that the problem is too serious or confrontational to discuss directly with a neighbour, then it is important that you tell your Tenancy or Support Worker about it as soon as possible.