What we aim to do: Assist individuals and families on low incomes who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or in transitional housing and experiencing financial hardship. We provide the opportunity to apply for loans to purchase essential household items, such as white goods and specific medical equipment. We aim to enhance financial management skills of the applicants, enhance self esteem and provide those accessing NILS with a sense of achievement. We believe our NILS are strengthening cooperation and connectedness within the local community. The maximum loan amount is $1000 subject to specific lending criteria.
Who is eligible? New or existing client of: Pathways, Rural Housing Network Ltd (RHNL) clients or other agencies in Greater Shepparton.
Applicants must be Age 16 years or older.
Applicants must be in active engagement with either Pathways, RHNL or another agency within Greater Shepparton and have a case worker and action plan and be willing to engage with appropriate worker/agency for a minimum of six months once loan agreement is signed.
Applicants must have a willingness and capacity to repay the loan.
Location of services: Greater Shepparton
More about this service: NILS are the provision of safe, fair and affordable credit, without interest or fee’s. NILS are an empowerment model of community credit that has the potential to break the poverty cycle within a household by offering alternatives to high cost credit or a hand out mentality. NILS gives people on low incomes the opportunity to purchase goods and services that are new and covered by warranties. When a borrower makes a repayment to the NILS program, funds are then available as a loan for another person.
Items which loans may be approved for will be predominately for:
- Washing Machines
- Medical items that are not fundable through other sources
Loans are not approved for emergency forms of relief or items where assistance is available including, but not limited to:
- Bond and rent money
- Rent arrears
- Living expenses such as food
- Gas, electricity or telephone bills
- Where other assistance is available – for instance Capital Grants
Loans are not approved for:
- Cash advances
- Debt repayment and consolidation
- Cheques payable to the loan recipient
- Cheques to a third party for a private sale
- Loan applications for secondhand items are not available
- Loan supports the purchase of environmentally friendly products
- Loan supports the purchase of goods from within Greater Shepparton, where possible
- Delivery costs are included in the loan amount
- The maximum loan amount is $1000
- Loans for more than one item will be considered where the total amount for the items does not exceed $1000
Additional Loans: Any subsequent loans can only be considered when the existing loan has been fully repaid
How to contact us:
Shepparton P.O. Box 7352
43A Wyndham St
Shepparton Vic 3632
Ph: 03 5833 1099
Fax: 03 5821 7627
Office Hours: 9am to 5pm Monday – Friday